August 06, 2020

VIDEO: Hunter pleased with swift return to winning ways

Rafu’s Post advert

Royal Wootton Bassett Town boss Rich Hunter was pleased to see his side return to winning ways in their Wiltshire Senior Cup tie with Cricklade Town.

Bassett booked their place in the second round on a foggy night at the Gerard Buxton Sports Ground in a competitive encounter.

And after defeat at Brimscombe & Thrupp on Saturday which brought their nine-match winning run to an end, Hunter was pleased to see his side bounce back ahead of a crucial FA Vase match against Ampthill on Saturday.

“For me, it was crucial to get back to winning ways,” Hunter said.

“I wanted to get as close to my first 11 as I possibly could, get a win and get confidence, especially going into the Vase game on Saturday.

“It was crucial just to get a performance and a victory, confidence is massive going forward into a big game.”

You can watch Nick Taylor’s full post match interview with Hunter in the video below.

Webb’s wide

Royal Wootton Bassett progressed into the second round of The Wiltshire Senior Cup with a hard fought 4-1 victory against Cricklade Town on a foggy Wednesday night at The Gerard Buxton Sports Ground.

In a competitive encounter, the Hellenic League side were matched by their Wiltshire League opponents for long periods of the game, but more clinical finishing and superior fitness saw them through at the final whistle.

With both teams fielding strong line-ups, Cricklade, sitting second in their league, started the more positively, Matt Bennett just failing to connect to Oliver Sly’s teasing right wing cross.

The home side went 1-0 ahead on 9 minutes when Harvey Scholes did superbly to bring down a high clearance with one touch before setting up his Player/Coach Sam Collier to drill home off the post.

Bennett then spurned a golden opportunity to equalise when Sly again fed his centre forward, but his shot skewed wide of Dan Lawrence’s goal.

Bassett players were left incensed on 24 minutes when referee Sean Rudd waved away their protests for a penalty.

Albert Dearing’s side deservedly drew level on 28 minutes, Devan Bryan cleverly curling the ball over Lawrence from a squared pass.

The imposing Bryan almost doubled his tally a minute later, his long range goal-bound strike deflecting for a corner.

Home keeper Lawrence then had to be at his best on 41 minutes to tip over a rasping 25 yard drive from Cricklade skipper Reece Gilliver.

Referee Rudd then angered the visitors, disallowing Bennett’s tap in, Bryan adjudged to have unfairly outmuscled Bassett defender Adam Corcoran.

After the break, with the fog descending further, Rich Hunter’s boys grabbed their second goal only two minutes after the restart, Corcoran on hand to stab home close in after Gio Wrona’s left wing corner had not been cleared.

This appeared to knock the confidence of the Cricklade players, who ply their trade two leagues below their hosts, with Bassett adding a third on 69 minutes, Scholes capitalising on a defensive slip, to feed Wrona, who coolly slotted home.

With Cricklade throwing players forward, Bassett wrapped the tie up on 82 minutes when a long clearance found substitute Aaron Maximen, who held off a last-ditch challenge before blasting home.

The visitors almost grabbed a consolation goal just before the final whistle, Sly’s long range dipper being tipped over the bar by Lawrence.

Nick Taylor

Signed Bits post ad

Related posts