July 22, 2018

SOUTHERN LEAGUE: Webb content with opening day point

Swindon Supermarine boss Dave Webb said he was content with an opening day point at Cinderford Town.

Marine secured a 1-1 draw in their opening game of the Southern League Division One South & West campaign on Saturday.

And Webb said he was pleased to come away from ‎the Causeway Ground with a point.

“It was probably a fair result,” Webb said.

“We didn’t do enough to win it but I thought we did enough not to lose.

“It’s a point to start, Cinderford is a difficult place to go, it always has been and always will be.

“They will cause teams problems for sure this season, they’re a good outfit.

“I would have taken anything from today, it’s a point to start but I think there is a lot more to come.”

Supermarine made a far from ideal start as they found themselves a goal behind inside ten minutes as Declan Morley-Lyne latched onto a long ball and finished past Connor Johns.

The game then went quiet for a long period, but Supermarine equalised eight minutes into the second half with Ryan Morgan finding the back of the net following Lee Marshall’s free-kick.

Ash Taylor and TJ Bohane then both had opportunities but their headers cleared the home crossbar.

Nick Harrhy then wasted the perfect chance to put the hosts back in front as he was unable to convert from the penalty spot after Marine were adjudged to have committed a foul in the area.

Home stopper Cameron Clarke was forced to pull of a good save to deny Josh Parsons late on as the game finished 1-1.

And after conceding early on in the contest, Webb praised the response from his players in Gloucestershire.

“After conceding what I thought was a poor goal, the lads did really well,” he said.

“They (Cinderford) were happy then to sit back and let us have the ball and we found it difficult to break them down.

“Eventually we got the break through in the second half through Ryan Morgan and I thought we were controlling the game.

“I didn’t think it was a penalty but the referee gave it, so we could have come away with nothing.

“The first game is always difficult and a point is not a bad return.”

Meanwhile it was announced by the club that Jack Alexander has left the Webbs Wood Stadium to join Halesowen Town.

Despite the news coming as a bit of a shock to boss Webb, he wished the defender all the best in the level up.

“I like Jack, we’ve worked well with him,” Webb said.

“For him to leave was a bit of a surprise, in terms of the level he is making a step up.

“I wish him every success, he’s been a good lad for me, he does things properly.

“To lose a player like Jack was disappointing but I hope it works out for him.”

Webb also revealed that he is set to continue talks with Harrison Bennett who has been involved with Supermarine during pre-season.

The 19-year-old was unavailable for Saturday but Webb says he is still keen to sort a deal for the youngster to sign on.

Matt Fiddes Women’s Martial Aarts

Related posts